El Olam – The Everlasting God (Psalm 90: 2). In Exodus, when Moses asked God what name he should give the Israelites when they asked God’s name, God replies: “I Am that I Am …. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: “I Am has sent me to You”. (Exodus 3: 14)
This word translated “am” includes the meaning “to be” or “to exist”. This is helpful in better understanding one of the names of God, “El Olam” – the “Everlasting God”. In Scripture, the word “Olam” is translated to mean things like “long duration, antiquity, futurity, for ever, ever, everlasting, evermore, perpetual, old, ancient.” When referring to the past, it is translated to mean “ancient time, long time”; when referring to the future, it’s translated to mean “forever, always, continuous existence, perpetual, everlasting, indefinite, or unending future, eternity”.
Psalm 90: 2 says, “Before the mountains were born or you brought forth the whole world, from everlasting to everlasting you are God.”
At Christmastime, we sing the words from Isaiah 9: 6 “For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.”
And Isaiah 26: 4 says, “Trust ye in the Lord forever, for in the Lord Jehovah is everlasting strength.”
We live in a world of time, and our thinking is confined by time- but before time ever existed the everlasting God-the great “I Am” was. And after time ends, “I Am” will still be. He is not a God confined by time or constructed in time- He is the everlasting God.
Additional References :
- (Genesis 21: 33 ) : And Abraham planted a grove in Beersheba, and called there on the name of the Lord, the everlasting God.
- (Psalm 90: 1-2) : [A prayer of Moses the man of God.] Lord thou hast been our dwelling place in all generations. Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God.
- (Psalm 93: 2) : Your throne is established from of old; You are from everlasting.
- (Isaiah 9: 6) : For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Might God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
- (Isaiah 26: 4) : Trust ye in the Lord forever, for in the Lord Jehovah is everlasting strength. (KJV) / Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord, the Lord himself is the Rock eternal. (NIV)
- (Isaiah 40: 28) : Have you not known? Have you not heard ? The everlasting God, the Lord, the Creator of the ends of the earth does not faint or grow weary, there is no searching of His understanding.
- (Jeremiah 10: 10) : But the Lord is the true God, he is the living God, and an everlasting king.
(Hebraws 1: 8) : But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is forever and ever; a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.